Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Saalfield Indian Paper Dolls #1367


When I first saw this set again in these self consciously PC times my first thought was that Saalfield would never be able to publish a book like this today.  On reflection, though, I can't see why not.  This is a truly beautifully book with wonderful attention to detail.

Although presented as a single family, each outfit in this set is representative of a different ethnic group, covering the entire geographical region of America.  I'm not at all knowledgeable in this area but I believe that each example of traditional dress is both authentic and accurate. 




For me, though, these dolls with their lovely names - Running Deer, Bright Arrow, Happy Dawn and Starlight - have always represented the perfect family unit, conveying both contentment and complete harmony.



I've always though the little girl in this set is the cutest doll I've ever owned.  Her blue outfit is my favourite - I love both the colour and design.


                     

This set is another example of Saalfield's practice of reprinting different versions of the same book with varying artwork and content.  I've seen three different variations.  The oldest version from the 1950's also contained pages to colour but my copy from the 60's only included the dolls and clothes.














Hallow e'en

During my childhood in South Africa we did not celebrate Hallowe'en and until I came to Ireland ten years ago I was not even sure what day of the year it fell on.  Ireland of course is different, as many of the traditions we associate with Hallowe'en (eg trick or treat) originated here and were taken to countries like America by Irish emigrants.

I've had this card for many years (since the 70's at least) and I think this lovely little witch is perfect for this time of year.   

3 comments:

Kylie said...

I think this just might be my favourite paper dolly book yet Sharon and I love the sweet little witch, owls and pussy cats on that card. Not very scary though...

GardenOfDaisies said...

There are very cute Native American paperdolls.
Such a sad part of our history... the native people were not treated well by the American Government.

sharonssunlitmemories said...

I think the sentiment expressed in Gayle's comment is one of the main reasons why I hesitated for quite a long time before including this post. What I find interesting about this book though is that Saalfield are using it to celebrate cultural diversity and in a gentle way are promoting native American heritage. This in an era I don't usually associate with cultural sensitivity or subtlety.

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...