Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Success!! An Answer to my Inquiry

Mike Hubbard - Wizzie the Wizard
The Internet is a truly wondrous invention.  I'm old enough that I don't take it for granted and still marvel at the information it offers up.  Like all tools I know it can be used for both good and bad.  But so far my experience has been overwhelmingly positive.  Not only have I a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips, I've also come into contact with a wonderful group of people.  Blogging has really developed into an amazing community, linking us together across the globe.

A couple of days ago I posted an entry Can you help me identify this artist? in which I included a number of fairytale illustrations that have enchanted me since childhood.  Although I have enjoyed looking at them for many years I have never been able to identify the artist.  Last weekend I decided I would ask for help and put together a post with a selection of some of my favourite images.

Many thanks to everyone who commented on the post.  Amongst them was one from Barbara at March House Books Blog who came up with the inspired suggestion that I look at a blog called

 Bear Alley 
(There is also a sister site called Bear Alley Books.)

Mike Hubbard - The Magic Emerald

I decided to be bold and emailed Steve the owner of the site directly.  By amazing coincidence (although I have been peppered with so many 'coincidences' lately that I'm starting to wonder about them) the current entries on the Bear Alley blog all feature the same artist.  To be honest I would not have made the connection without being told as they are a different genre of comic strip.  But I have gone back to look at them in a different light armed with my new information.

Bear Alley is a magnificent blog for anyone like me who enjoys vintage British comics, books and magazines.  The blog contains a wealth of detail of the era of my childhood (and more besides.)  



This is the information Steve emailed back to me:

The artist you're trying to identify is Mike Hubbard who, by an amazing coincidence, is the artist of the strip currently running on Bear Alley!

Mike was a long-serving illustrator (1930s) and comic strip artist (post-WW2) with the Amalgamated Press/Fleetway/IPC, working on a number of comics and magazines. He was also the assistant to Norman Pett for some time (1946-48) before taking over Jane (of the Daily Mirror), which he drew in 1948-59.

The Look & Learn connection is certainly there: Coral Island is an old L&L strip from 1966. He drew a variety of strips for Once Upon a Time in 1971-72 and you might want to look out for copies of Pixie from 1972-73 where he adapted The Secret Garden and The Little Princess, both by Francis Hodgson Burnett.

These were all drawn towards the end of his career as he died in 1976.


I'm thrilled to have this information after all these years! A big thank you to Steve (and Barbara for the suggestion).  At last I can put a name to these lovely illustrations.

Mike Hubbard - The Magic Mirror

5 comments:

rkbsnana said...

Aren't they all just lovely. Thank you for sharing. You're right...blogging is a community.

Barbara said...

That’s amazing. Steve really came up trumps – and so quickly! How strange that Mike Hubbard is featured on Bear Alley at just the time you ask the question.

Unknown said...

Oh, that's so nice. I'm glad you found the answer.

Darlene Foster said...

This is an amazing story. I am so glad you found the answer to your question so quickly through the wonderful world of blogging.

Donna Heber said...

Hi Sharon,

I'm so happy you were able to obtain the info. you were looking for. People in blogland are just wonderful. I once had a teacup that I couldn't identify and emailed this collector and she graciously told me the pattern. Sounds like you are having a good week so far :-)

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...